Modifying child support in Ohio when life changes

On Behalf of | Jul 16, 2021 | Child Custody |

No one’s life stays static. Things always change often for the best. For example, you may have children but are trapped in a failing marriage and you come to the realization that you and your spouse are better off divorcing. This divorce may be in the best interests of you, your ex and your child, and may even be an amicable experience.

However, as big of a change as divorce is, even years after your divorce your life can change. You may get a better paying job or, conversely, be laid off through no fault of your own. Or your child’s needs may change. After all, the needs of a toddler are very different from the needs of a teenager. In any of these circumstances you may want to modify an existing child support order in Ohio whether you are the paying parent or the receiving parent.

When can you ask for a change in your child support order?

Either parent whether they are receiving child support or paying child support can request a modification of their support order. In addition, child support orders in Ohio can be reviewed every three years from the date of the last review. A caseworker will examine both parents’ income and information to see if the child support order should be modified. The amount awarded can be adjusted upward or downward regardless of which parent initiates the review and adjustment.

What are some reasons to request a review and adjustment?

There are a variety of reasons why a parent may request a review and adjustment of their child support order. One is if they lose their job, through no fault of their own, for at least 30 days in a row. Another is if they have a 30% decrease in their income for at least six months due to reasons outside of their control, and they expect that the decrease in income for an extended period.

Seek help if your needs change

It is very understandable that you may come to a point in your life or a point in your child’s life where the amount you are paying or receiving in child support is no longer working. When this happens, you can seek a review and adjustment. Many times these changes are through no fault of your own. By seeking a review and adjustment you and your ex can ensure you are both contributing to the expenses related to raising your child in a healthy and supportive manner. This post is for educational purposes only and does not contain legal advice. Our firm’s webpage on family law may be a good resource for those who want to learn more about this topic.